Monday, August 17, 2009

Some of my loves


God loves his children so much! And he delights in giving us the desires of our heart.  I am sitting on the porch watching a fresh rain come down from the infinite sky full of cumulus clouds floating across the great blue expanse.  The Oso Pennisula is to the left of me which is a dark silhoutted  land mass across the sea, popularly known as a national reserve where surfers and divers conjugate. Directly in front me is the gulf of Zancudo that is shaped like a crescent moon, this is probably one of the most popular areas for deep sea fishing.  The town is a mix of shanty beach shacks and million dollar vacation homes.  Below me, the caretaker and his family are cooling off in the pool after a sticky day of humidity and daily chores.  Michael sped off down the road to a little fishing town called Pilon where he will retrieve the fresh catch of the day for our dinner the next few nights.  I thought now would be an opportune time to reflect on a few of my loves or passions whatever you may call them, the Lord has lovingly let me indulge in while I have been in Costa Rica.
Cooking






i love using everything in its rawest form and here I get to do that! There is no trader joes where everything is pre-packaged.  Which I realize when you don't work or have anywhere to be it is not a problem at all! Beans can take up to 2 1/2 hours to cook and a fresh stew usually can take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours.  But it doesn't matter because you have all the time in the world.  I love the aroma of garlic and onion sautee'd in some olive oil with a pinch of oregono.  Some of my homemade happenings have been...

+hummus: garlic, tahini, garbonzo beans, olive oil, broth, garlic, and lemon
+tomato sauce: tomatoes, carrot, celerary, garlic, onion
+lentil & vegetable stew: lentils, carrots, onion, cilantro, potatoes, homemade broth, garlic, and curry powder
+salsa: tomato, radish, green & yellow onion, lemon, garlic & cilantro
+ceviche: char, lemon, tomato, onion, cilantro
+tortillas: super easy maize & water

reading
atleast 5 hours a day. For those of you that know me I love the idea of reading, growing in knowledge, hearing the stories of others lives, and being inspired, but I would rather be with people.  Here what a joy to actually finish an entire book.

 Some of my happenings...
+Enrique's Journey by Sonia Narizo
+Feel by Matthew Elliot
+The Son by E.L Towns
+Compilation of sermon & journals from John G. Lake
+The Bible: Ezra, Nehemiah, 2 Corthinians,  John, Acts, & Psalms 
Photography

The landscape here is breathtaking.  Everything from the mountains to the sea to the sunsets.  I have yet to really capture Tico culture as I am trying to not look as such an intruder, but soon enough this too shall come. 

1 comment:

Lindsey Family said...

yes, the photos are amazing. miss you. your food looks yummy too!

Hands Wide Open

Hands Wide Open
Learning to give, love, risk, and trust with hands wide open.