Friday, October 30, 2009

Facebook

Reasons why one might deactivate their facebook account:

1.  the ridiculousness of indirect communication with friends when making plans 

2. it causes people to be more flakey, how hard is it to break plans with a computer screen, really?

3. mindless hours can go to looking at friends accounts

4. it is a lame excuse to not pick up the phone and just call someone

5. it enables our generation to become disconnected and lazy in pursuing community and relationships

So, I gave it up. It was actually super easy, to be honest I don't feel like any REAL fruit came from facebook.  I thought the only reason why I might keep it is to stay in touch with old friends but the reality is usually after a couple wall comments back and forth it doesn't go any further.  I also do not want anymore enablers in my life as a poor reason to not pursue community better with people who live near by and a far.  It is also one less thing I will spend time using the internet doing.

3 comments:

BJL said...

Thanks for the inspiration! I totally agree! A huge waste of time.

The Paine Family said...

I share your feelings. I hardly ever check facebook and when I do I feel more like I'm spying on people that interacting with them. Blogging is such a more healthy form of impersonal communication, ha, ha!

BJL said...

Does Beth have you guys number. We were just talking about how we had such a good time with you guys and wished that we lived closer to each other. She mentioned how she wants to call and catch up.

Hands Wide Open

Hands Wide Open
Learning to give, love, risk, and trust with hands wide open.