Monday, April 26, 2010

O.C Half Marathon

I realized today I haven't wrote about the half marathon I will be doing this Sunday May 2nd, not sure why.  I think part of me does not want to come off as boasting as I know it is a big accomplishment for many people, including myself.  But I think instead of looking at it as an opportunity to boast it is truly an opportunity to give glory to the creator for allowing my body to achieve such a strenuous task. 

Two Sunday's ago I went on a long run before church in the morning.  I was at about mile 9 and had 2 more miles to go.  As I was running down Farrol St. in Arroyo Grande I saw a man in a wheel chair who had no legs.  We exchanged waves and I could not help but feel sorry for this man who would never experience what I was feeling in that moment again (unless the Lord restored his legs, may that be so).  Although it was a glory moment for me (a moment of praising God) for having legs.  Over the past ten weeks of training I have had many glory moments.  You see running does not come easily for me.  I have to mentally push myself to places I have never been before, mainly because I grew up dancing so running is like learning a foreign language.  A foreign language I am progressively growing stronger and more confident in. 

Please pray for rest, rejuvenation, and safety on my run Sunday!! 

 Some reasons I like to run...
  • It is hard for me.  
  • I get to see my body go to new levels it hasn't before
  • It is always instantly rewarding after I reach the end of my run
  • I feel empowered when I use reverse psychology to talk my body out of tired places
  • I see progress weekly as I complete runs harder and longer 
  • I get to just be! It is probably one of the only times in the day when I have no-one around me
  • I listen to worship music blasting in my ears
  • I get to smell the salty air or hints of eucalyptus
  • I get to explore back country roads
  • I get to be free from my mental check lists, worries, or agenda for the day
  • It always gives me a reason to praise God for my health! 

No comments:

Hands Wide Open

Hands Wide Open
Learning to give, love, risk, and trust with hands wide open.