Sunday, October 3, 2010

When God gives you lemons make lemonade

"When God gives you lemons make lemonade!" I am not sure when I first heard this statement but I can only imagine a wise life weathered soul echoing these words long, long ago.  

"But I didn't ask for lemons!

I am sure we all have our "something" we didn't ask for. Wether it is a health, financial, relational, personal or spiritual affair, you didn't ask for it but you now have it.  So what I am learning to ask myself is not why but how? So, not why did you give me lemons? But how can I make lemonade? In other words how can I glorify you with these 'lemons' (sounds quite comical when you put it in the context of fruit)!

It is often easy to live in the fantasy of what we want and envision what life would be like.  I fall into this temptation many a times.  Michael and I were reminded last week by Rolland Baker, a man who is living like Jesus in a desperate and hungry country that there are two things that give him Joy (and this man had uncontrollable & uncontainable joy)....

1. The fear of the Lord
2. Doing His will 

As I have been reading through the book of Daniel with a good friend, I have been challenged by the God fearing faith of Daniel.  His life after Israel had been brought into captivity, was under scrutiny because he had gained favor in the eyes of the king and was appointed leadership over his courts.  Yet there was a clause to this nobility Daniel had been handed and that was embracing the Babylonian ways.  Daniel resolved not to become like the Babylonians and refused to eat, drink, or worship their Gods.  The fear of man did not dictate his loyalty to the Lord but the fear of God drove him to fierce loyalty.  And because of this as the story continues to unfold God is faithful to answer and deliver Daniel from many life threatening circumstances.  

And then there is doing his will. Knowing in simplest terms he calls us to love him & love our neighbor making us more holy and beautiful through the process.  And then there is suffering he calls us to as his children.  As well as specific gifts, callings, and plans he has on our life.  Which sounds so easy as I let these words flow out of me yet so unnatural when they go against my desires and plans.  And so the prayer I have been petitioning to Jesus is, "Give me joy to do your will!"

I was reminded of the fathers heart this morning in church as I heard a small voice speak to me.  Matthew 7:9-11 Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If then you who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 
So my strength comes not in my circumstance but in the person of God & who I get to be in him! And who you get to be in him! What great news! 

5 comments:

The Paine Family said...

Yes, well said. God uses all things for good! Sometimes instead of turning to lemonade, lemons become watermelons! Love you!

Lindsey Family said...

I love reading your blog! Always so encouraging and insightful! I miss you too! Hoping we make it down for Thanksgiving. My sister always reminds me of a quote she once recieved from a friend. "We don't see things how they are, we see them as we are" Soooo true. Anyway, let's try to connect soon. Love you girl.

Ryan and Camille said...

Encouraging Jen! I like your prayer and am reminded to use it as well. xoxox

gerry said...

God can also make,,,, lemon pie :)

The Schmidts said...

Love you guys! -Rhiannon

Hands Wide Open

Hands Wide Open
Learning to give, love, risk, and trust with hands wide open.