Then there is my yellow, two days a week. On these days I tend to lean towards a more type A personality. Waking up with plenty of time to brew the coffee, make a salad for lunch, take a shower, put on my eye liner and pick out my school teacher uniform. Usually I go with something more neutral (weird, today I wore floral tights at Department of Social Services, something I probably would not wear teaching elementary schoolers:) I always arrive an hour early usually to be welcomed by the secretary " Wow, you are early." I like to be prepared. After a dozen times of looking over the lesson for the day I feel comfortable enough to sporadically glance at the lesson throughout the day. I want to be natural, comfortable, and seem like I know what is going on not with papers in front of my face rambling like a nervous little girl. I am happy teaching. I feel like I am a natural. Not in an arrogant way but I love the concept of developing a life. School is much more than the content. If you peel away the fractions and cursive writing you are dealing with some of the most foundational and character developing years of a child's life. Communication, integrity, conflict resolution, identity, discipline, exploration...and the list goes on.
Some highlights from substitute teaching:
1 Mrs. Paine, I got hit, as he holds himself below the belt. Just walk it off you'll be okay.
2. Mrs. Paine she poked me. Well what do you think the right thing to do is? Poke her back (the whole class giggles). "Now is that being a gentleman?" Whatever happened to opening the door for girls?
3. How old are you? 60. NO, you look like you are 16. Well thank you.
4. Is that how you treat your brother? He is not my brother. He's your brotha from anotha motha!
5. I have picked up kids desks and moved them from their friends. I have read books in southern accents when necessary and always get the most amazing stares. I have squeaked like a cat and a mouse. On several occasions I will be on my knees teaching real truths of repentance and forgiveness. I have had 3rd graders follow me around the basketball court during recess to tell me every pizza place in town they like to eat at along with all their pets names including their 5 fish.
6. My favorite is sometimes when I get the eye roll ("Okay teacher!") I usually proceed with, Do you have something in your eye? It always gets a good laugh!
7. But most of all I love to encourage them. Whether it is reading out loud, sharing an answer with the class, or helping me pass out papers.
Matthew 19:14 "Then children were brought to him that he might lay his hands on them and pray. The disciples rebuked the people, but Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven. And he laid his hands on them and went away. "
1 comment:
Oh, the stories. I wish now that I had recorded some when Ryan advised me to. I love it!
I also love the part of teaching that is human development, not the content, but the part where I teach students to be human and to treat one another humanly. I am learning to develop that side of my teaching this semester.
Post a Comment