Thursday, March 18, 2010

Planting

Growing...
We moved into our little cottage by the sea almost 6 months ago.  After countless hours of sweat, dirt filled shoes, and exhausted muscles we are at last beginning to really enjoy the fruits of our labor.  This past week has been in the 70's and the nights are in the high 50's with sunsets around 7:30pm it is quite glorious!!  Our hearts are always in a state of inexpressible gratitude when we gaze upon his majesty just 50 yards from our house.  
About 3 months ago Michael had made two vegetable beds for our yard and we FINALLY got around to planting in them this past weekend.  Winter sowing and harvesting slipped right by us but we snuck up on spring and were able to plant quite the variety last weekend.  The process was as follows: 

1.  We literally kicked down our fence and used some of the wood for our two vegetable beds 
2.  We dug up old raised planter beds and transplanted the dirt into our beds.  Michael always says how rich our soil is the happier the veggies!

3.  We went to the Mushroom Farm out on Huasna Rd. to get free compost.  Well I knew compost contained horse and cow manure but I did not know there would be so much of it in the mix.  Were talking almost 12 inches in diameter of horse dung.  I wore sandals and shoveled away as we flung dung into the trailer.  I felt like real country folk! 
4.  After combining the soil and the compost we planted our veggies and herbs.  Zuchinni, Squash, Spinach, Kale, Red Leaf Lettuce, Tomatoes, Snap peas, Strawberries, Oregano, Cilantro, Parsley, and Mint.  
5.  We watered the beds and now we just give them some tender lovin care and wait for summer to come to enjoy with our friends and neighbors. 
Little Snap Shots of our Yard 

French Lavender 
Princess Flower 
Kangaroo Paw
 Pittisporom 

4 comments:

Green Jessica said...

I love it. I am planting a garden too!

The Paine Family said...

Wow- that looks so great guys!!! Hope we can munch on your crop this suumer (:

Lindsey Family said...

Salad PLEASE.....

BJL said...

I love this post! The little "garden bug" has bitten Beth and I as well. However in the elevation of the mountains spring fever is still in out blood. It gets down to the 30's at night still but up into the 70's during the day. All of our garden is like, "ummmmmm....... what's going on???" but there has been some strong spring winds lately and that means the hot weather is right behind it. We can't wait, and we can't wait to see you guys again too.

Hands Wide Open

Hands Wide Open
Learning to give, love, risk, and trust with hands wide open.