Saturday, November 20, 2010

Birthday Gratitude

Thursday was my birthday, I turned 25, a quarter of a century old!  Usually I wake up and reflect on the past year of life.  And as I started to let the film of the past roll through my mind I felt urged to stop.  Today was not about who I am based on the past year but who God is making me to be.  I was reminded that I am Child 1 John 3:1 See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. So often we determine who we are based on the past.  Our accomplishments and failures, the right and wrongs we've committed, the perceptions or feedback of others; completing losing site of the very blue print of our DNA, Genesis 1:27 So God created man in how own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.  Not to negate the necessity and importance of remembrance as a sign of gratitude for what God has done! And as a pillar of faith we stand upon, so when the storm comes we do not forget His faithfulness.  

And so my day began lying in bed being served a yummy breakfast and being reminded of who I am as a child of the living God!  What a great feeling to know you are loved.  I was blessed with cards, flowers, phone calls, and text messages throughout the day.  Although I think most of us wish life could just stop for the day, class awaited me as usual! The evening was spent at a wine bar with a group of my lady friends enjoying live music, appetizers & dessert, and great conversation!  Before I went to bed Michael surprised me with a handmade journal from Etsy that we will use to write our love story, capturing the memories and conversations of life together.  Michael surprised me last night with a night in Cambria and of course there is no trip North that doesn't include the Big Sur Coast.  Today we ran the Harmony Headland National Park Trail which starts from Hwy 1 out to the ocean.  It was breathtaking.  A perfect day after a storm. Need I say more.

3 comments:

The Paine Family said...

Glad to hear you had a great birthday!! So good to wake up and remember that we are daughters- His daughter!! Excited for what 25 holds for you. . . makes you sound older (that is til I hit 30)

The Schmidts said...

Happy belated birthday Jen! I wish that I could have made it out with you on your birthday, but alas, three children with me probably would not have been appreciated by the group. :) You are an amazing woman and I am blessed to call you my friend. Love Rhiannon

elotz13 said...

I love your post, thanks for the encouraging words. I truly miss you both. Happy belated birthday, I will remember it from now on!

Hands Wide Open

Hands Wide Open
Learning to give, love, risk, and trust with hands wide open.