Sunday, April 7, 2013

Treasure

Santa Barbara Morning Run

As I was running this morning I began thinking about this treasure I have inside of me. 

I am learning to not keep it hidden as much these days. 

This treasure should be like when a mother and father first find out they are having a baby or when two people fall in love and start making plans for the future. They want they world to know. With much excitement the announcement stage comes. Everyone starts to hear the news. Even strangers.

It cannot be contained. 

It burns with joy, excitement, and anticipation.

I began relating to this idea in light of the treasure inside of me. 

And as I began relating and not relating to this parallel in my life I started to have fresh eyes to see what could be. What was waiting for others to experience. And the platform in which I desired to launch my life. Out of this place of joy, excitement, and anticipation for what this treasure meant for the world. 

Because Jesus did not only come to save us from death. (Romans 5:9)

But also to crown us into a life of royalty, righteousness, and relationship. (Romans 5:11,17)

On Saturday while down on State Street in Santa Barbara for a Bachelorette party I stepped into this thin place (between heaven and earth).

To meet a man named Nick. 

In the midst of Latte's, shopping bags, and small talk I could not help but be broken over this mans appearance. He was bent over 90 degrees clinging to a walker, shuffling gait, stopping every few feet to regain his balance. 

We continued to walk in the opposite direction. I looked back and he was still in view. 

Almost always when Father God is tugging on my heart to GO and extend the treasure, 
I hesitate.  I come up with reasons why I shouldn't go and then I make a choice. 

Either me or Father God. 

I grabbed my girlfriend and we started retracing our steps back to this stranger into the thin place where the divine nature of man and God collide. 

Nick was there. 

If you know State street, especially on a Saturday there are hundreds of people out. One of the reasons I tried to rationalize not going to speak to Nick. 

When we asked him his name, he could not speak. Signaling for a pen and paper he wrote, 
My name is Nick. I have brain damage. I was in an accident 4 years ago. 

We shared with him the gift of healing, restoration, and life Jesus Christ was offering him and asked if we could pray. Putting his hands to his lips in adoration, we began. 

Calling down heaven to realign His brain, spinal cord, hips, legs, and feet with the Kingdom of God we continued to press into the cross because Nicks healing had already been purchased 2000 years ago. We asked if he felt anything in his body. If he could stand up straight without his walker. 

Nothing had changed. 

Again, we continued to pray. We asked Nick if he believed Jesus could heal him. He wrote, Yes. Pray I would have a new brain. 

Words cannot describe what happened when he looked into our eyes. It was as if the whole world had stopped around us. I couldn't see or hear anyone else but Nick. 

Looking into his soul I knew Jesus was touching him. And even though he was not healed of his conditions on State Street that afternoon, Jesus came. 

Saying goodbye we hugged him and prayed a blessing over him. 

All I could see walking away was his eyes that burned with such purity and hope. 

Then the tears started to come.

Flashes of strangers passing by continued to look upon my brokenness. I didn't care who saw me crying all I wanted was Nick to be healed and no longer to live in such immense physical suffering.

I was disappointed. I wanted it to be that day. 

But as I was praying again this evening for Nick, faith began to rise in me.

I knew the battle wasn't over yet. 

I knew it was just the beginning or continuing of what Father God is already doing in his life. And that more healing even full healing could come. 

 So, I am reminded by this encounter in the thin place with Nick, we must STOP. 

We must learn to cultivate a life sharing the treasure that lives within. 

And we must believe, all things are possible with God. 

Please contend with me for this mans healing and for the power of Gods goodness, love, and grace to overwhelm every facet of his life. 








2 comments:

gerry said...

Thanks for stopping, for stepping out of your comfort zone, and for sharing what God laid on your heart as you were obedient. Nick will never forget that moment you saw him as a person loved by Jesus.

HM said...

Awesome
I love how your heart took you where your mind did not want to go. God will honor your prayer of faith. I believe Nick is already on a healing process for a new brain. There is a book somebody gave me about healing and more it is really good. It speaks very specifically about how you prayed and did not see the outcome you prayed for. You can borrow it when I'm done.

Hands Wide Open

Hands Wide Open
Learning to give, love, risk, and trust with hands wide open.